왕초보영어

영어자료실 영어학습에 유용한 자료들이 모여있는 영어보물창고입니다. 저작권에 위배되는 자료의 등록은 자제해주세요.

토스점수, 토익스피킹점수, 토스독학, 토익스피킹독학, 토스시험, 토익스피킹시험, 토스레벨, 토익스피킹레벨

코난 오브라이언 다트머스 졸업 축사 스크립트

코난오부롸연 | 조회 2066 | 추천 3
  • 글꼴
  • 확대
  • 축소

I came here today because believe it or not, I actually do have something real to tell you. Eleven years ago I gave an address to a graduating class at Harvard. I have not spoken at a graduation since because I thought I had nothing left to say. But then 2010 came. And now I'm here, three thousand miles from my home, because I learned a hard but profound lesson last year and I'd like to share it with you. In 2000, I told graduates "Don't be afraid to fail." Well now I'm here to tell you that, though you should not fear failure, you should do your very best to avoid it. Nietzsche famously said "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." But what he failed to stress is that it almost kills you. Disappointment stings and, for driven, successful people like yourselves it is disorienting. What Nietzsche should have said is "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you watch a lot of Cartoon Network and drink mid-price Chardonnay at 11 in the morning."

Now, by definition, Commencement speakers at an Ivy League college are considered successful. But a little over a year ago, I experienced a profound and very public disappointment. I did not get what I wanted, and I left a system that had nurtured and helped define me for the better part of 17 years. I went from being in the center of the grid to not only off the grid, but underneath the coffee table that the grid sits on, lost in the shag carpeting that is underneath the coffee table supporting the grid. It was the making of a career disaster, and a terrible analogy.

But then something spectacular happened. Fogbound, with no compass, and adrift, I started trying things. I grew a strange, cinnamon beard. I dove into the world of social media. I started tweeting my comedy. I threw together a national tour. I played the guitar. I did stand-up, wore a skin-tight blue leather suit, recorded an album, made a documentary, and frightened my friends and family. Ultimately, I abandoned all preconceived perceptions of my career path and stature and took a job on basic cable with a network most famous for showing reruns, along with sitcoms created by a tall, black man who dresses like an old, black woman. I did a lot of silly, unconventional, spontaneous and seemingly irrational things and guess what: with the exception of the blue leather suit, it was the most satisfying and fascinating year of my professional life.

To this day I still don't understand exactly what happened, but I have never had more fun, been more challengedand this is importanthad more conviction about what I was doing. How could this be true? Well, it's simple: There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. I went to college with many people who prided themselves on knowing exactly who they were and exactly where they were going. At Harvard, five different guys in my class told me that they would one day be President of the United States. Four of them were later killed in motel shoot-outs. The other one briefly hosted Blues Clues, before dying senselessly in yet another motel shoot-out. Your path at 22 will not necessarily be your path at 32 or 42. One's dream is constantly evolving, rising and falling, changing course. This happens in every job, but because I have worked in comedy for twenty-five years, I can probably speak best about my own profession.

Way back in the 1940s there was a very, very funny man named Jack Benny. He was a giant star, easily one of the greatest comedians of his generation. And a much younger man named Johnny Carson wanted very much to be Jack Benny. In some ways he was, but in many ways he wasn't. He emulated Jack Benny, but his own quirks and mannerisms, along with a changing medium, pulled him in a different direction. And yet his failure to completely become his hero made him the funniest person of his generation. David Letterman wanted to be Johnny Carson, and was not, and as a result my generation of comedians wanted to be David Letterman. And none of us are. My peers and I have all missed that mark in a thousand different ways. But the point is this : It is our failure to become our perceived ideal that ultimately defines us and makes us unique. It's not easy, but if you accept your misfortune and handle it right, your perceived failure can become a catalyst for profound re-invention.

So, at the age of 47, after 25 years of obsessively pursuing my dream, that dream changed. For decades, in show business, the ultimate goal of every comedian was to host The Tonight Show. It was the Holy Grail, and like many people I thought that achieving that goal would define me as successful. But that is not true. No specific job or career goal defines me, and it should not define you. In 2000in 2000I told graduates to not be afraid to fail, and I still believe that. But today I tell you that whether you fear it or not, disappointment will come. The beauty is that through disappointment you can gain clarity, and with clarity comes conviction and true originality. Many of you here today are getting your diploma at this Ivy League school because you have committed yourself to a dream and worked hard to achieve it. And there is no greater cliché in a commencement address than "follow your dream."

Well I am here to tell you that whatever you think your dream is now, it will probably change. And that's okay. Four years ago, many of you had a specific vision of what your college experience was going to be and who you were going to become. And I bet, today, most of you would admit that your time here was very different from what you imagined. Your roommates changed, your major changed, for some of you your sexual orientation changed. I bet some of you have changed your sexual orientation since I began this speech. I know I have. But through the good and especially the bad, the person you are now is someone you could never have conjured in the fall of 2007. I have told you many things today, most of it foolish but some of it true. I'd like to end my address by breaking a taboo and quoting myself from 17 months ago. At the end of my final program with NBC, just before signing off, I said "Work hard, be kind, and amazing things will happen." Today, receiving this honor and speaking to the Dartmouth Class of 2011 from behind a tree-trunk, I have never believed that more. Thank you very much, and congratulations.

중고등영어,집중공략패스
11,089개(219/370페이지)
영어자료실
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회수 날짜
4549 원어민들이 자주쓰는 nail it~! [2] 최고야 135
4548 고급 영어회화 표현 envisage~ [2] 얼굴 132
4547 '맛집', '유명한 곳'을 원어민들은 어떻게 표현할까? [2] 맛집탐방 134
4546 원어민들이 자주 사용하는 빈도부사 영어표현~! [2] 범퍼카 132
4545 스포츠경기에서 '0점'을 원어민들은 어떻게 표현할까? [2] 스포츠 149
4544 3월 29일 영어표현퀴즈 [1] Jeff 135
4543 통증이나 사람이 '왔다 갔다' '그랬다 안 그랬다'를 영어로 자연스럽게 ... [2] 달팽이 162
4542 a shot in the dark 추측, 어림짐작, 그냥 한 번 물어보는... [2] 지린진 131
4541 고급 영어회화를 하기 위한 필수 영어 단어 - Envisage [2] 눈감 148
4540 미국 원어민식 표현! Come about [2] 인포데스크 123
4539 오늘의 영어공부 표현 한마디 - 뜬금없이, 갑자기 out of the b... [2] 산드루 141
4538 모든 영어에서 기본이 되는 구동사 표현 - shore up 강화하다 [2] 유엔 129
4537 원어민들은 의견을 '덧붙이다' '끼워넣다'를 어떻게 표현할까? - Pie... [1] 꾸엥 127
4536 Stun 망연자실, 기절, 충격 [2] 데데 146
4535 '세금을 내지 않고', '은밀히' 혹은 '만취하여'라는 뜻의 원어민식 생... [2] 뷰뷰 134
4534 '실행에 옮기다'를 원어민들은 비즈니스영어로 어떻게 표현할까? [2] 인강 161
4533 '식은 죽 먹기'를 더욱 원어민식으로 표현해 보기! 'Cakewalk'!... [2] 즐겨찾기 130
4532 만약 내가 틀리면 어쩌지?! [2] 만약 141
4531 미드 오피스로 영어 표현 배우기! [2] 미드공부법 140
4530 영어표현 한마디 - jot down 빨리 받아적다 [2] 142
4529 기초영어표현 : 뜸하다, 덜하다 trail off [2] 기초 165
4528 "잠깐 얘기 좀 할까? 영어로는? [2] 타임 132
4527 어떻게 됐어? 를 영어로? [2] 우와 171
4526 3월 28일 영어표현퀴즈 [1] Jeff 153
4525 3월 27일 영어표현퀴즈 [1] Jeff 143
4524 rub off on~? [2] 척척 155
4523 Come off 이 무슨뜻? [2] 부자 125
4522 act up 말썽피우다 [2] 개구쟁이 155
4521 데이트 신청하다 후후 [2] 로즈 152
4520 rip through [2] 폭풍 134

해커스영어는 유익한 게시판 이용을 위해 아래와 같은 내용을 포함한 게시글/댓글의 등록을 금지합니다.

[게시판 이용 안내 및 권리침해신고 자세히 보기]

해커스어학원, 해커스토익, 토익강좌, 수강신청, 토익수강신청

토익 약점관리로 고득점 뚫을까?

실시간 정답확인

영어회화,영어회화강의,영어회화인강,영어회화독학,영어회화강의추천,해커스톡,해커스톡영어회화,해커스톡강의,영어회화환급강의기초영어,미친환급패키지